The latest word is that the Sheraton is booked for the weekend days and
is filling up quickly for the weekdays. If you are unable to obtain
accommodation at the Sheraton, there are
in the Boston back-bay area that can be checked, but please act quickly since
the weekend before the conference coincides with graduation ceremonies at
several Boston colleges. We recommend the use of public transit, since
parking in Boston can be very expensive and difficult to find.
The Boston hotel crunch is mostly on the weekend, so you might find it
easier and less expensive to stay at a hotel outside Boston on
Saturday/Sunday and at the Sheraton (or nearby hotels) for the weekdays.
- Conference Hotel
Sheraton Boston Hotel & Towers
39 Dalton Street, Boston, MA 02199
Tel: 1-800-325-3535 or 1-617-236-2000
For suburban accomodation, always inquire what is the distance to the rapid
transit. There are three main forms of rapid transit operated by the
Boston Transit Authority (MBTA, locally known as "The T"). They are
the subways (actually they are above ground in some places): the Red, Green,
Blue, and Orange lines; the Commuter Rail lines (sparse service outside
rush hour); and the bus lines (slow, but some are convenient). Locals usually
mean the subway when referring to the T. If a hotel advertises a shuttle
bus to the T, ask them how often and how late at night it is available,
and if not convenient for you, ask approximately how much is the cab fare
to the T.
Parking at the Prudential Center costs about $20/day. Round
trips on the T costs under $3.00, on the Commuter Rail $5-$7 from suburbs
within 20 minute train ride (followed by 20 minute walk or $.85 T,
10-minute T ride).
The Hotels below are listed by rough proximity to the conference center.
Please note that this is just public info -- we do not have any special
arrangements with these hotels.
There is often a corporate or academic discount at larger hotels, but
you will have to ask.
- A short walk (all indoors) from the Sheraton, on the opposite side
of the Prudential Center.
110 Huntington Ave. Tel: 617-236-5800. Fax: 617-236-5885.
Back Bay Hilton
- Within walking distance. 40 Dalton Street Boston.
Tel: 617/236-1100. Fax: 617/867-6104.
Copley Square Hotel
- Within walking distance. 47 Huntington Ave.
Westin Hotel, Copley Place
- Within walking distance. 10 Huntington Ave.
- The Copley
Plaza Fairmont Hotel
- Within walking distance. 138 St. James Ave.
- The Eliot Hotel
- Within walking distance. 370 Commonwealth Ave.
- 617-426-1400 $249 weekend. 275 Tremont Street.
- 617-227-8600 $199 weekend. 60 School Street.
Park Plaza Hotel
617-457-2497, $225/$245 weekend. (more info)
- Holiday Inn,
- Only $220/Exec Floor available for weekend. On T.
Rates during week should be lower.
5 Blossom Street At Cambridge St. Tel: 617-742-7630. Fax: 617-742-4192.
- Sheraton Commander
- Harvard Square, Cambridge (20 minutes by MBTA)
May 18-23 available 800-325-3535 (Sheraton Hotels Reservation) $249 May
18-19, $205 May 20-23 reservation fax. 617-868-8322.
- DoubleTree Cambridge
- 1-800-222-8733 (Doubletree general reservation
number.) At Mass. Turnpike Exit 17. 10 minute drive to Prudential May 17-18
$229 2 night min non-refundable deposit, May 19-23 $185. shuttle
buses until about 10 pm to T. Tax to Prudential center about $7.
These hotels are within 60 minutes door to door outside the rush hour
- Days Inn, Soldiers Field Road
- 617-254-1234 Bus to T, $125/night
- Howard Johnson/Kenmore Square
- 617-267-3100 $185 Fri/Sat, $145 rest of week. On T line.
- Sheraton Tara/Braintree
- 617-848-0600 Shuttle to T, $145/night
- Holiday Inn in Randolph, at $110/single/double.
- Home Suites Inn in Waltham, $135/single/double 1-800-424-4021
3 night minimum $135/night + $10 each addition person. $10 cab ride or
5 minute drive to Riverside T station (40 minutes to Prudential Center).
- DoubleTree Suites Waltham (not Cambridge!). available May 18-22 $154.
1-800-222-8733 (DoubleTree systemwide reservation number). $10 cab ride
or 5 minute drive to Riverside T station (40 minutes to Prudential Center).
Short term furnished apartment reservation services (quality unknown...)
- Irving House, Harvard Square, Cambridge, Small rooms May 18-23 singles,
shared bath. $55, 2 people $75. Favored by academics and others who prefer
to spend their extra $100/day on good food and good beer. 617-547-4600.
- Here's a page
of B&B's. See especially the two B&B reservation services.
B&B's are rooms in private homes, usually quiet and interesting. Rooms
are typically $50-$100
- AAA Corporate Rentals
rents furnished apartments by the week.
- Boston Short-Term Rentals, 617, 262-3100 email@example.com
1997 International Conference on Software Engineering
Last modified: 10 May 1997